Thursday, December 21, 2017

6:00 PM

Well today didn’t go as well as I’d hoped. The emissions air pump replacement wasn’t a happy experience and it continues. I should have known - - - What exactly I should have known I’m not sure. . . When I was preparing the re-manufactured pump by putting the pulley on I found that the bolts from the old one were too large. OK a trip to the hardware store. Wrong! They didn’t HAVE a bolt that would start into the new pump. Next to O’Reilly’s – they didn’t have another one on this side of the valley- it would be tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. I still had hopes of having back on the road today. I have things to do that it’s the vehicle to do them with. Their best suggestion was a trip to an industrial fasteners store. OK it was just a few miles away. I walked in and there was a line and 8 customers in line ahead of me. Time was slipping by. The counter man was very willing but he had no better luck. I was about to leave when I asked “would take a really good look at the threads I don’t think they are all that good and. . . He said “you might be right just a second” and he went and got “tap” the size we THOUGHT SHOULD/MIGHT work. It did in fact and the new blots that everyone had in stock everywhere I’d been. Yes the were metric but I had figured that out but after a quick run with the tap they started went in just like they were supposed to. I thanked the counterman and tried to pay him – I only left with 3 small bolts and he wouldn’t take anything for them or his time. Just a “Hope it works for ya.” It DID. BUT that evil witch of should of, could of, would of but didn’t tool complete control. The belt had looked just fine. When I was getting it into position I realized that it was twisted down where I couldn’t see it. Twisted to the extent that I couldn’t straighten it even pulling on it as hard as I could. This was NOT GOOD. An already overly long rendition of the situation – it wasn’t going to happen today because I have to now remove the radiator, fan shroud, fan and remove the other 3 belts to get to the twisted one. This would be the time when a ‘pro’ would call the customer and advise them that it will run a little more money than estimated and won’t be ready when promised. Yeah I knew it could happen but I was optimistic and I was wrong again. When all was said and done for the day, I was what was done-FOR -who said I’m done -IN- for today. I’d been saving my Christmas cards for a time when I thought I ‘needed’ them. That was THEN and I was glad I had waited a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment