Saturday, March 3, 2018

Saturday 5:30 PM

I suppose it’s all a part of the advanced maturity experience. I will say that if you have any ‘good news’ feel free to share it with me. I visited my friend in the hospital Sat. after hearing about his situation. Looks like it might be a prolonged stay. Today I get a call that took me about 10 seconds to realize who I was taking to. Another old friend from one of my preceding life times – the early Iowa years. We have been in occasional contact mode since then. Every once in a while we’d get together through the years. He called to say that they wouldn’t be coming down this way in June. He’s has to undergo extensive surgery and prolonged treatment for cancer under his tongue. The prognosis is good but it’ll be a very long row to hoe. So I get home fix a snack read in the courtyard. After a while I think “I’ll see what’s happening in fb” and discover that Charlie Zarges had passed. Admittedly it has been a WAY LONG time since we saw each other but I remember him well. I remember a lot of laughs from our high school antics. Somewhere Charlie found an early 30’s Buick 4 dr sedan that someone at stuck a much latter model big Buick V8 in but didn’t get it running. It didn’t have any seats in it or much else except for mouse droppings.. We got it running so naturally we HAD to take it for a drive. As I recall we had a wire going to the carburetor through the dash and there was a hole in floorboard that allowed us to change gears while sitting on old milk cases. Brakes you may well ask – it had brakes that lasted for the first part of the ride. . . After that it was Fred Flintstone time which by the way doesn’t really work well. RIP Charlie.

Well now wasn’t that fun? No I can’t say it was but typing it out and remembering etc. sort of brings it into perspective I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment