Saturday, February 17, 2018

Saturday 6:30 PM

Saturday Night ? Nah, can’t be. Wrong again ‘old Crusty’ it is most definitely Saturday Night. I am happy to be home and not wishing I were out and about tonight. For one thing I’m tired – that doesn’t usually keep me at home. Tired? Why Yes. Somewhere during the afternoon I decided to try to install some LED bulbs for the dash lights in the Scout. I knew that some of the sockets were missing and etc. I now have 3 lights WORKING and 4 not working along with the little lights for the accessories like lights, wipers heater controls. Those are no big deal because after all these years I KNOW where they are. I DO NOW have a bright beam headlight indicator. Whaa Whoo That’s an improvement. The sockets are available and not pricey but I didn’t HAVE them in hand. S0 I chose to put the new LED taillight bulbs in. Driver’s side went OK and next the passenger side – not so much. The socket was wasted. I don’t know what kept the bulb in. Understand the old Scout has HD on/off road traction tires on it and they are usually aired up enough to pull a heavy trailer which contributes to going slowly over speed-bumps and avoiding potholes if for no other reason for the benefit of my back. Rough ride – Yeah! Anyway the new bulb wouldn’t hold in the socket- if I held it in place it worked fine otherwise NOPE. Stupid Old Man – I monkeyed with the darn thing till I got frustrated, found a better one (I thought) in the tool box and spliced the wires and found that the one in the tool box SHOULD HAVE BEEN thrown away when I took it off. Quick trip to get a new one- that went OK till I hooked it up and it didn’t work either. Imagine That I’d taken it off and replaced it years ago. I’m not prone to replacing things that work but. . . I’d have been OK but the height I had to maintain to splice the wires and test it wasn’t good. My bad soon made a strong point of the fact and reminded me that pushing ahead from that position wasn’t a good plan. I knocked off for today. By then the partners were launching dinner to which I was invited. That just re-enforced the appropriateness of STOPPING for today. Yeah it usually takes more than one reminder for me to quit. So from all that I learned – LED bulbs don’t respond to the dash light dimmer BUT they will make the gauges visible at night- OK. Now I need to get a hand full of twist in sockets and replace the rest of those suckers. I wasn’t up for rewiring the taillight twice sooooo. Tomorrow maybe. Old vehicles, Old building + Old man = ___________ . Prior to this the ‘partners’ figured their fridge was going South rapidly early in the day. I went over and Shorty had the fridge out of it’s spot and had tried to clean the coils etc. It hadn’t worked so far so I got some brushes from the shop and some vacuum attachments and tried it. It’ll probably will work a little longer but who knows. It was used when he bought it and that was at least 10 years ago probably more. Include in my day’s activity a short visit with Dawn & Bill about mid-day and I’ve had a full one. Not really ‘bad’ but certainly not satisfying. But a call from the daughter saying her move is complete, thanks to the Alton Waggeners and a couple fine Braymans. Miserable day for that kind of activity (moving), Thanks Folks. My day felt better.
I guess I felt like re-capping my day, mostly for myself probably but still . . .
The forecast isn’t too brag-able for here for a few days but I can handle low 50’s for a day or so. See I ain’t a weakling and can tough it out. Ha Ha Ha I may be compelled to complain a little but that’s for you to handle. (chuckle)

No comments:

Post a Comment