Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Wednesday 5:30 PM

Well another day is passing before my eyes with nothing positive to show for it. Quite a bit to remember it by but . . . I’ve been watching one of the tires on the Mercury sort of thought it might be tad low. 3 tires right on 32# and one at 12#. I first thought was to just air it up and see what happens. My more mature ‘me’ thought “No, that attitude gets me in trouble almost always.” So attempting to act like someone whose head is out in the sunshine, I aired it up and went to the tire shop to get it checked. Off the are and into the water tank. NOTHING! The young man said it had 32# just like the other three si yo want me to take it apart and check the inside? I asked “did you check the valve stem and core?” “Yes I did, all is well there.” I replied well put ti back on. That was this morning. When it was back on and they were ready to back it out they realized the rear end was sagging. It’s air ride in the back. No air ride! That was about noon and I’ve been back home for an hour. STILL NO air ride. 3 guys who knew about air ride suspensions but not REALLY knowledgeable. I had watched and the guy changing the tire didn’t mess up – I watched him turn the switch to OFF before raising the rear end off the ground. They gave it ‘what for’ trying but to no avail. The rear is sitting just a couple inches off the ground. Long story made a little shorter – the pump isn’t kicking in. Well I knew THAT! They checked the air bags that support the body in back and even re-sealed them. Nope Won’t work without the pump. Then they got the book out and sneaked off to the office to check the internet. Came back and went through a check out procedure. Guess what they leaned? The pump isn’t activating – DUH! Is it the pump that is the cause or is something else no sending the signal to the pump? Your GUESS is as good as anyone elses at this point. It goes back tomorrow to reside there till they either give up or ???? My quandary is “ do I hold them liable and demand they fix it ? Whatever happened, happened while it was in their shop. That’s doubly difficult – been there personally. I was doing a valve job on an old Chevy in Maysville and when it was all finished I was setting the valves. Yeah I SAID it was old. I standing there being pretty proud of the job when I rod started knocking. I hadn’t in that part of the engine at all. I shut it off immediately but alas then I restated it the knocking was still there. Shut it off and call the owner! All I could do. He was sort of a friend and a regular customer. I explained it all to him. His position was it happened while it was in your shop – YOU have a problem. Finally we agreed – I would fix it for the cost of the parts. He left happy and I felt I did the right thing. I’d have felt just as he did if the roles where reversed. Now the shoe is on MY FOOT! Pretty much the same situation EXCEPT for the cost of the parts. I aught to rebuild the entire system – it is a wear item and subject to age just like me (chuckle) It IS old - almost 25 years old. Wait the Scout is almost 40 years old! And I’m MORE than both of those added together! Like any of that has anything to do with it. (chuckle) News as it develops -
I’m going to meet Kurt in the morning for breakfast and B.S. That’s NOT Bacon & Scrambled eggs either.

No comments:

Post a Comment